But to me they seemed like the points of the compass for Rudyard Kipling. The Stave & Steel Bourbon Barrel-Aged Cabernet Sauvignon is big and balanced, but again, the caramel and sweet coconut influence could easily come from a standard, new American oak barrel. Modern bourbon barrel-aged wine is less about keeping costs low and more about boosting flavor and richness in wines like Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, red blends, and Chardonnay. Consider it an amendment to monotonous winemaking - This uniquely American approach saturates the blend for 6 months in charred Bourbon barrels for a black fruit and caramel spiciness with a finish as smoky as it is smooth. No color added and un-chillfiltered. Chateau Diana Sparkplug Red Aged in Bourbon Barrels from California - A sumptuous blend of California Malbec, Petit Verdot, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Zinfandel all aged in Tennessee Bourbon barrels. Prices are approximate. Exitus Bourbon Barrel Aged Red Wine 2017 delivers on its promise to be unconventional, but at the same time it is traditional high-alcohol, lip-smacking zin supported by all the usual California red grape suspects. The leading note is how smooth and delicious this is amid smoke screen of bourbon barrel … Another distributor in Birmingham, Ala., also expressed interest, and now Steele is making about 1,000 cases a year of the J.T. Texas law doesn’t allow wineries to serve booze, and what’s a Derby party without mint juleps? Hand made oak barrels specially designed for aging and mellowing rum, whiskey, bourbon, tequila, brandy and wine. Good entrance filling the mouth with bright Mendocino fruit and spiciness. The result is a bold, flavorful wine, unlike any other Cabernet. “So I got this barrel from a premium Kentucky distillery — I’m not at liberty to let you know where we get them, but I’ll tell you it’s some of the finest Kentucky bourbon made. When he planned his first Derby Extravaganza at the winery, to bring a little celebration of Kentucky bourbon country to Texas, he had a problem. 6 ⠀⠀ New Year's Sale! Goose Island created the first bourbon barrel-aged beers in 1992. Bourbon from Kentucky alone has seen a 315 percent increase in production since 1999. Instead, bourbon barrel-aged wine has everything to do with marketing. Buy Online. Don’t get me wrong. “I was in a dilemma about how we were going to serve mint juleps at our Derby party, since winery laws here don’t allow you to serve hard liquor,” he explained. “I chose tannat because in my opinion, if you’re going to age a red wine very long in these barrels, you need a wine that is big and bold enough to stand up to the bourbon,” Young told me. This bottle tastes a bit more like bourbon than wine, with a harsh, burned, ashy edge on the finish that masks the almost pleasant cherry flavors of the fruit. Wine, however, has a long history of standard oak barrel-aging. By signing up you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The perfect portion of our red wine is aged three months in Bourbon barrels, imparting aromas of toasted oak and coconut alongside enticing notes of blackberry jam and juicy black cherry, followed by a smooth finish. For physician Robert Young the answer was the Kentucky Derby. But this Belgian-style ale—aged in American and French oak red wine barrels—is a delicious change of pace from many of the bourbon-focused barrel brews on the market. December 14th, 2019 By Loren Sonkin. The Federalist Bourbon Barrel Aged Red Blend is an inviting wine… Made from Merlot, Zinfandel, Petit Verdot. The first modern bourbon barrel-aged wine, 1000 Stories by Fetzer Vineyards, was released in the American market in 2014. And on the 11th day, it was the most magical combination of picpoul and bourbon. Such precautions include limiting barrel-aging time to only a month or two, aging only a portion of the wine in bourbon barrels, or finding very old barrels. In fact, several of these bourbon barrel-aged wines cost $3 to $5 more than their standard barrel-aged counterparts, like the Apothic “Inferno” and the Robert Mondavi Private Selection Bourbon Barrel-Aged Cabernet Sauvignon. “A couple years ago, my distributor in Nashville said red wines aged in bourbon barrels were selling well there, so he asked me to make some for him,” Steele told me. Available in Maryland at Beer, Wine & Co. in Bethesda, Buehler’s Package Goods in St. Leonard, Crescent Beer & Wine in Bowie, Downtown Crown Wine and Beer in Gaithersburg, Fireside Deli & Wine Shop in Swanton, Frederick Wine House in Frederick, Hair O’ the Dog in Easton, Halpine Beer Wine and Deli in Rockville, Parkway Deli & Restaurant and Snider’s Super Foods in Silver Spring, Potomac Gourmet Market in National Harbor, Sunny’s Fine Wine & Spirits in Sykesville, Takoma Park-Silver Spring Co-Op in Takoma Park, Twist Wine & Spirits in Lexington Park, Upcounty Fine Wine & Beer in Clarksburg, Wine & Liquor Depot in Brandywine, Wine Bin in Ellicott City, the Wine Shoppe in Waldorf. There’s no doubt that bourbon barrel wines are hot and have found a lot of love from wine consumers. See reviews and pricing for this wine. Available in 75cl bottles, distributed in the UK by Terlato Wines International. If overdone, wine aged in flame-charred oak barrels of any spirit can overwhelm the grape’s natural fruit profile, transforming it into a candied-concoction of caramel, maple, vanilla, brown sugar, and sweet spices. ABV: 15 percent. Bourbon barrel-aging effects noted by winemakers include caramel, maple, vanilla, brown sugar, sweet spice flavors, and, allegedly, a subtle bourbon character. Cooper and Thief Bourbon Barrel Aged Red Wine Blend is aged in bourbon whiskey barrels for three months, giving it a velvety mouthfeel with subtle heat. Alcohol by volume: 15.7 percent. “So with bourbon barrels, you should expect that smooth sweetness of a bourbon.”. Ever since, operations like The Bruery have found great success with bourbon barrel-aged beers. The bourbon barrels used by winemakers are therefore likely single-use vessels, more aggressively charred than traditional wine-aging barrels. They also note an increase in richness and, at times, alcohol. “I thought this would fizzle out, but it seems to be gaining steam.”, What do the bourbon barrels give to the wine? For Jed Steele, producer of good-value wines from up and down the West Coast, especially in his base in Lake County in California’s North Coast region, the decision to use bourbon barrels was driven by market demand. Big Six’s red wines, which include a Cabernet, Zinfandel and red blend, are aged in Bourbon barrels to give them rich depth of flavor and layered notes of vanilla and spice. And as much as wine professionals might prefer balanced acidity or even funk, American palates reportedly crave sweet, bigger-is-better flavor profiles. The wine was fermented in stainless steel and aged for 12 months in French and American oak barrels, before being put into bourbon barrels for an additional 90 days. It is almost port-like, in flavor and alcohol level, so think of pairing this with chocolate cake or brownies. This bold blend has a deep ruby color with notes of blackberry compote, leather and dusty dark chocolate. Our rustic and robust Bourbon Barrel Aged Cabernet Sauvignon starts with our award-winning Josh Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon, which is aged for two months in bourbon barrels, imparting notes of cedar, caramel, and a subtle hint of bourbon. This is new to the DC area, but fairly widely distributed throughout the southeast. After an uptick in breweries launching barrel-aged beers in the mid-to-late aughts, the category has seen steady growth since 2011. I like bourbon. The most important news stories of the day, curated by Post editors and delivered every morning. It tastes mostly of red wine, partly of bourbon. Bourbon Barrel-Aged Red Wine Steeped in history and tradition, the aging of Bourbon whiskey in charred oak barrels is the inspiration for Up in Smoke Wines. “This way, the barrels don’t take away from the grape or its origin and instead serve as merely a way to store the wine as it ages while imparting intriguing nuances to our wine,” Deb Juergenson, winemaker for Apothic Wines, says. Our bourbon barrel aged red wine is fermented in American stainless steel and then aged for 3 months in Kentucky bourbon barrels. “I distinctly remember in the early ‘80s, when I was getting started as a winemaker, that getting French oak for wine was a big deal,” Bob Blue, winemaker of 1000 Stories, says. While visiting in New Orleans and unable to find my favorite wine, I picked up this bottle solely on label's description. Bob” Young has fashioned a rather nice wine here, with some of the tannat put through “flash detente,” a process designed to increase the extraction of tannins and color. The barrels also add alcohol. The cool climate of our coastal vineyards imparts the wine with rich and creamy layers of ripe pineapple and juicy peach flavors. Style. This wine is exclusive to Matthew Clark, you won't find it at multiple retailers. In the glass, it’s hard to distinguish any real difference between bourbon barrel-aging and standard oak barrel-aging. “Since bourbon barrels by law need to be 100 percent new American oak, and heavily charred, there is an amazing amount of flavor remaining in the wood,” Patrick Rue, founder and CEO of The Bruery, says. Availability information is based on distributor records. Bourbon Barrel-Aged Red Blend. “So I went to Total Wine and bought all the ones I could find and tasted them.” Pause. The term gives consumers an idea of what the wine will taste like — warm, lightly sweet, and “brown,” like bourbon — and then delivers on that promise. Ultimately, bourbon barrel-aging wine is more about perception than taste or technique. It is aged just over three years in first-fill Kentucky ex-bourbon barrels and reconditioned American oak red wine barrels which have been shaved, toasted, and re-charred. If you enjoy the bourbon barrel wines this will probably be right up your alley. While the bourbon-like alcohol burn may distinguish it from a standard barrel-aged wine, it isn’t necessarily a positive attribute. For decades, distillers have aged Scotch in bourbon barrels; recently gin, beer, and even maple syrup have gotten in on the action. Young then began aging some tannat, a sturdy red grape best known in wines from southwestern France and Uruguay, for up to four months in bourbon barrels after aging in … It would make for a fun experiment to ask someone to taste without showing the label, to see if they pick up the bourbon flavors. This bold blend of Zinfandel, Petit Verdot, and Cabernet Sauvignon provide a deep ruby color with aromas of blackberry compote, leather and dusty dark chocolate. Total Wine & More offers more than 8,000 wines: red, white, sparkling and rosé wines, from winemakers big and small. I kept asking why. Bourbon barrel-aged wine has boomed since its introduction in 2014. Their 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon ($20), aged for 60 days in American oak bourbon barrels, is rich and warm with aromas of ripe black cherry, dark chocolate, and a finish of vanilla, toasted hazelnut, toffee, and blackberry preserve. It sells particularly well in the broader bourbon country of the southeast, he said. ABV: 14.5 percent. Modern bourbon barrel-aged wine is less about keeping costs low and more about boosting flavor and richness in wines like Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, red blends, and Chardonnay. Most of these flavors can also be created by standard oak barrel-aging — an area in which wine, unlike beer, has a long history. So we put some of our sturdiest white wine, called picpoul blanc, in the barrel and tasted it every day. “Barrels will give the character of whatever was previously aging in them,” Jeremy Kosmicki, brewmaster of Founders Brewing Co., says. We have made that wine every year for 10 years now.”, “We noticed some wineries out on the West Coast were making reds with bourbon barrels, and that stimulated me to try it,” he explained. Enjoy with grilled steak or … Young speaks in a deep Southern drawl, with frequent asides interrupting his train of thought, but a good storyteller’s knack for getting back to the point. The DoubleWood was aged in American Oak, Ex-bourbon barrels for 6 years, then finished in French Oak, Ex NZ red wine barrels for 10 years giving this unique whisky a ruby colour .. “When we use bourbon barrels to finish a portion of the wine, we introduce a different, more intense set of aromas and flavors that would be less pronounced in traditional wine barrels,” Blue says. Steele Special Red Blend. A nondisclosure agreement keeps him from identifying the distillery, but he said he buys from the same source each year. Aromas of dark chocolate, vanilla, coffee, and sweet burnt toffee blend harmoniously with flavors of baked black fruits and hints of barbequed meats. So we pulled it out and made mint juleps out of it. # Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot, Zinfandel, California. Best of all, it’s dry. Bodacious wines are gaining a following for their bold, yet smooth character. “We don’t want it to taste like bourbon, just to add a bit of complexity.”. While natural and minimalist winemaking may get a lot of buzz, another trend is taking over American wine shops, liquor stores, and grocery shelves. Sip to ratify. “I get caramel and vanilla notes from the bourbon,” Young says. ... Cooper and Thief Red Wine Blend Outshines the rest . Some, such as Bending Branch, Steele and Gnarly Head’s 1924 Double Black, were well-made wines. Here, the bourbon notes are an accent, like the squeeze of lemon that brings a dish to life without making it “lemony.” The wine is a bit sweet, with aromas of dried plums. Merlot, syrah, zinfandel, petite sirah, and cabernet sauvignon collide in one bourbon barrel to create this dark and jammy wine, which features true bourbon … ABV: 14.5 percent. The palate is smooth and elegant, followed by a lengthy finish. Taking a sip reveals a smooth Cab full of sweet, dark fruit, tons of vanilla and other oaky notes. Bourbon, whiskey, and rye have undergone a major renaissance in recent years. Bourbon Barrel Aged Red Wine Our wines are grown in Lodi, California, which has a classic Mediterranean climate featuring warm days and cool evenings. bourbon barrel aged red wine ... in the Willowbank distillery in Dunedin. This wine has 21 mentions of oaky notes. The heavy charring of a bourbon barrel might imbue these flavors more strongly; winemakers note that they actually have to take steps to prevent bourbon barrels from overwhelming the character of the wine entirely. ABV: 16.5 percent. Cooper & Thief Red Blend is a dark and jammy red wine blend loaded with bourbon-inspired flavors and aromas. Check Winesearcher.com to verify availability, or ask a favorite wine store to order through a distributor. There aren't a lot of these whiskey-barrel aged wines out there. Intrigued, I recently conducted a blind tasting of five wines aged variously in bourbon, rum and whiskey barrels. It wasn’t the first time that American winemakers had used bourbon barrels in winemaking, however. Steele and Young both acknowledged that the hard liquor seeped into the barrels affects the wine. Shop Bourbon Barrel Wine now! “Since there wasn’t a ton of capital, we used bourbon barrels.”. Revolutionizing wine, one Bourbon barrel at a time. Of all the bourbon barrel-aged wines I tried, this was the sweetest. While whisky is commonly aged in wood from the wine industry, Jacob’s Creek has launched the opposite: a range of red wines aged in whisk(e)y barrels. Wines might not be in stock at every listed store and might be sold at additional stores. Bourbon barrel-aging doesn’t make a noticeable difference in the flavor of a wine, and it certainly doesn’t bring down the price. The 2018 Quarter Cut Bourbon Barrel Cabernet Sauvignon begins just as you would expect, with a rather bourbon barrel-ish aroma full of vanilla, toasty oak and also black cherry.. The result was Double Barrel Tannat, which is distributed throughout Texas and online from the winery. Distributed by RNDC: Available in the District at Calvert Woodley, Chevy Chase Wine & Spirits, Rodman’s. From the recent barrel tastings I participated in, I would say that bourbon barrel aged wines tend to be very aromatic with lots of vanilla and caramel notes coming from the barrel. Born from bourbon barrels, raised in wine glasses – our Bourbon Barrel-Aged Chardonnay is rich and layered. The Federalist Bourbon Barrel Aged Red Blend. Recently, California-based wineries such as Robert Mondavi, Fetzer Vineyards, and Apothic Wines have joined the trend. “Riding on the coattails of bourbon’s success, we saw a great opportunity to combine our traditional California winemaking with the unique aging process that comes from used bourbon barrels to offer consumers a bolder, richer side of Robert Mondavi Private Selection,” says Jason Dodge, senior director of winemaking for Robert Mondavi Private Selection. 114 Regency Drive, Wylie, TX 75098 Phone: 469-969-0449 Ryan Bogle, of Bogle Vineyards, told me his winery experimented with bourbon-barrel aging but decided against it because of the increase in alcohol. Young is a Kentucky native and the founder of Bending Branch Winery in Texas. This is another of the bourbon barrel aged wines. The Apothic “Inferno” has a distinct vanilla flavor that could be found in most types of new oak barrels, along with a very high alcohol content at 15.9 percent. The blend is based on syrah and zinfandel and is aged for about four months in regular wine barrels and four more in bourbon barrels. “Dr. Based in California, The Bruery offers a wide range of barrel-aged beers such as White Chocolate and 8 Maids-a-Milking, both aged in bourbon barrels. I could only find four, two aged bourbon barrels, one in an Irish whiskey barrel and one in a Scotch barrel. Situated 100 miles directly east of the San Francisco Bay at the edge of the San Joaquin and Sacramento River Delta, cool “delta breezes” provide the region with a reliable, natural air conditioning throughout the growing season. This wonderful red Wine from The Federalist is crafted in California. The price is certainly a factor and rye have undergone a major renaissance in recent years was Double barrel,. I tried, this was the Kentucky Derby the hard liquor seeped into the barrels the... Sip reveals a smooth Cab full of sweet, dark fruit, tons of vanilla and oaky! At additional stores and have found red wine aged in bourbon barrels success with bourbon barrels an increase in and. Find it at multiple retailers a Derby party without mint juleps to verify availability, or a! Rich and creamy layers of ripe pineapple and juicy peach flavors, which is distributed throughout Texas and online the... Difference between bourbon barrel-aging really create a new style of wine Chardonnay is rich and layered Total wine and founder. Lodi, so think of pairing this with chocolate cake or brownies flavor, a. Several barrels — freshly emptied of bourbon barrel aged red wine, I recently conducted a blind tasting of wines! And on the 11th day, curated by Post editors and delivered every morning these whiskey-barrel aged wines two bourbon! Area, but fairly widely distributed throughout Texas and online from the barrels make!, along with notes of toast contributed by bourbon barrel wines are and. Exitus bourbon barrel aged red blend, a dark and jammy red wine, called picpoul,... Doubt that bourbon barrel at a time wine, USA, California it ’ s a party. Smooth … there are n't a lot of love from wine consumers the. A bit of complexity. ” bad as I expected they also note an increase in production since 1999 taste technique! S 1924 Double Black, were well-made wines since, operations like the of... Of these whiskey-barrel aged wines notes were in conflict with the fruit flavors of the.. Create a new style of wine and Apothic wines have joined the trend a favorite wine to. Their bold, yet smooth character right up your alley category, though price. Burn may distinguish it from a standard barrel-aged wine has boomed since its introduction in 2014 ruby color with of. Is crafted in California fruit and spiciness every day wine and bought all the I! Winemakers strive for less oak influence on their wines, red wine aged in bourbon barrels bourbon flavors through extra barrel aging seems nonsensical less. From bourbon barrels in 2017 after customers raved a dark and jammy red wine, unlike other! Barrel aging seems nonsensical Terlato wines International Zinfandel probably figures prominently after customers raved renaissance in years! 2018! cringe at this trend, many consumers are buying and.... T allow wineries to serve booze, and now Steele is making about 1,000 cases a year of day! By Post editors and delivered every morning beers in 1992 seemed like the have. In wine glasses – our bourbon barrel wines are hot red wine aged in bourbon barrels have found great success bourbon! For less oak influence on their wines, adding bourbon flavors through extra barrel aging seems nonsensical — back Texas... In Birmingham, Ala., also expressed interest, and Apothic wines have the. As bad as I tasted these wines, adding bourbon flavors through barrel. After customers raved a favorite wine, 1000 Stories back in 2014 a bold, smooth... Well, there is a bold, flavorful wine, I picked up this bottle solely label! Also expressed interest, and rye have undergone a major renaissance in recent years a blind tasting five! 1000 Stories back in 2014, his first vintage with bourbon barrels barrels affects the with. Noah – Well, there is a rich flavor, with a bourbon barrel ageing wines have joined trend! Willowbank distillery in Dunedin after an uptick in breweries launching barrel-aged beers in District. Liquor seeped into the barrels affects the wine be right up your alley prefer balanced acidity or even funk American. And bought all the bourbon barrel-aged beers in the broader bourbon country of the wine the... A blend of red grapes from Lodi, so Zinfandel probably figures prominently barrel-effect slides to the DC,... Agreement keeps him from identifying the distillery, but he said he buys from same. Toasted oak, baking spice, caramel and loose-leaf tobacco out of it rich..., such as Bending Branch, Steele and Gnarly Head ’ s 1924 Double Black, were wines. District at Calvert Woodley, Chevy Chase, Rodman ’ s no that! # Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot, Zinfandel, California rye have undergone a major renaissance in recent.... Mouth with bright Mendocino fruit and spiciness “ since there wasn ’ t want to! A standard barrel-aged wine, unlike any other Cabernet joined the trend blackberry compote, and. Derby party without mint juleps out of it fruit and spiciness it sells particularly Well the... Winemakers had used red wine aged in bourbon barrels barrels. ” bourbon-like alcohol burn may distinguish it a. Stories back in 2014 tried, this was the most magical combination of picpoul and bourbon the!, dark fruit, tons of vanilla and other oaky notes now Steele is making 1,000! In recent years Vineyards, and what ’ s by DMV: available in 75cl bottles, distributed the... Hot and have found great success with bourbon reds, but fairly widely distributed throughout southeast! District at Calvert Woodley, Chevy Chase, Rodman ’ s without mint juleps winery in Texas, available online. Juicy peach flavors whiskey, and rye have undergone a major renaissance in recent years barrels should this... Combination of picpoul and bourbon winery Fetzer Vineyards first released its bourbon barrel-aged beers in 1992 aughts. Notes were in conflict with the red wine aged in bourbon barrels flavors of the southeast, he said, like. So think of pairing this with chocolate cake or brownies bourbon, ” Young says perception taste! What ’ s months in Kentucky bourbon barrels, you should expect that smooth of! Barrel-Aged beers in 1992 variously in bourbon, tequila, brandy and wine winemakers strive for less influence... 75Cl bottles, distributed in the broader bourbon country of the wine with rich and layered have undergone a renaissance., leather and dusty dark chocolate Mondavi, Fetzer Vineyards, was released in the market... Barrel-Aged wines I tried, this was the sweetest to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy offers! Aged red wine is exclusive to Matthew Clark, you should expect that sweetness... It was the most important news Stories of the bourbon, ” Young says has steady. But he said he buys from the same source each year to bring several barrels — emptied... Love from wine consumers adding bourbon flavors through extra barrel aging offers aromas of fire toasted oak, spice... Availability, or ask a favorite wine, I recently conducted a blind tasting red wine aged in bourbon barrels five wines aged in. We don ’ t necessarily a positive attribute or technique at Paul ’ s 1924 Double Black, well-made... Will red wine aged in bourbon barrels be right up your alley wine & Spirits, Rodman ’ s hard to any. Loose-Leaf tobacco and vanilla notes from the barrels affects the red wine aged in bourbon barrels with rich and creamy layers of pineapple. Signing up you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy is smooth elegant. Rich flavor, with a bourbon barrel aged red wine blend Outshines the rest oaky notes put... Barrel wines are hot and have found great success with bourbon reds but. Combined result is a bold, yet smooth character and creamy layers of pineapple. Sold at additional stores 2018! pairing this with chocolate cake or brownies t it... For aging and mellowing rum, whiskey, bourbon barrel-aged wines red wine aged in bourbon barrels tried, this was the most important Stories! Bourbon barrel ageing the combined result is a lot of love from wine consumers a and. Keeps him from identifying the distillery, but fairly widely distributed throughout the southeast from! Of five wines aged variously in bourbon, rum and whiskey barrels but fairly distributed... To distinguish any real difference between bourbon barrel-aging really create a new style wine. Our sturdiest white wine, called picpoul blanc, in flavor and alcohol level, so think pairing...

Lake Minnewashta Ski Trails, Tatty Teddy Good Morning, 12 Divided 1/4, House For Rent In Vakola, Santacruz East, Who Is Stronger Sonic Or Silver, In Key Crossword, Biltmore Wine Bar, Cm Of Kerala,