You will hear a sizzling sound, Drizzle the sauce NOT ON THE FISH, but on the sides of the dish so it won't make the fish and other things soggy, Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve immediately. Add all the other ingredients & bring to a boil. Lower heat & simmer for 10 minutes. To check if the fish is cooked look for eyes popping out and the side fins to be raised. Steam 8 mins over high heat. And finally, the fish balls. This gives subtlety to their power. Julienne an additional section of ginger root (approximately 1 cm thick) for garnishing. This will help to cook both sides of the fish evenly and prevent the skin from sticking to the plate too, STEP THREE: SET UP THE STEAMER amzn_assoc_search_bar = "true"; Cut another 9cm of the green-white section of the spring onions and julienne. (Max 10min for 600g fish, add 1min for every 100g more) Meanwhile, prepare the sauce and heat it up using the … I use sea bass in this recipe, which turns out excellent. Because it has robust flavours, I keep the slices tucked into the fish cavity as thin as my knife skills will allow. Then, we lingered over the flesh that runs down its back. Haha.. Make a few slits on the fish where the flesh is thick, I use a wok with a lid. Then garnish with ginger, spring onions and coriander leaves.Heat the oil until it begins to smoke. plain greek yogurt, fresh dill, salt, cucumber, minced garlic and 2 more. In another pan, fry chopped garlic with oil until golden brown. … Instructions 1. The green-white mid section of the same spring onions are julienned and reserved for garnishing. It also tastes fabulous drizzled onto steamed rice. In general Singaporean Chinese/Cantonese restaurant parlance, Hong Kong style fish is steamed with aromatics (usually ginger, spring onion, coriander) then finished with hot oil and a light soy sauce dressing (commonly a combination of soy sauce, sugar and a little water). It is the same to me. Rinse cod fillet and pat dry with kitchen towels. Sprinkle shredded spring onion on top of cod fish and pour piping hot oil over it; Garnish the dish with choi sum, place the cod fish on top; Pour hot Steamed Fish Light Soy Sauce over cod fish and spring onion; Cooking Tips for steam cod fish: * How long you steam a fish depends on the equipment you use and the size of the fillet. Arrange ginger slices in a steaming dish and place cod on top. (I usually save the delicate green tops for another purpose such as adding vegetal sweetness and colour to a beef stir-fry. amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; The fish tank was not for decoration. This blog post contains affiliate links. • Place fish on your selected plate and stuff its cavity with sliced ginger. Trim off spring onion roots then cut a 9cm length of the white bases. Heat sauce ingredient in a small pan and bring to a boil and cook until sugar has dissolved. Cantonese style, steaming fish cooking with fresh bass. Bring water in the steamer/wok to a boil on high heat and place dish to steam for 7 minutes. Heat control is crucial here. A hot oil is then drizzled over the green onion and ginger, creating that sizzling sound (LOVE IT!). Most of the “fresh” fishes these days are mostly have been previously frozen before they reach us. Drain off any liquid that may have collected in the dish or transfer the fish onto a serving dish. I would love to see it! Now, you can pour/spoon the cooked sauce over the steamed fish. Strain. The soy sauce-based sauce is then dressed on the side of the dish (not on the fish, explanation on this later!). Learn more. FRESH FISH Steam at high heat fro 15 minutes or until fish is cooked. Cooking the fish: Prepare the steamer. Add a dash of pepper and drizzle sauce over. Place fish fillets inside the bowl with flour mix one or two at a time then cover and shake to coat fish evenly. Save remainder for another use. This aids cooking. I LOVE Chinese-style steamed fish. In a large skillet, heat sesame and olive oils. Add some more oil in … Place the fish on top and top it with more ginger and scallions. Remove from the heat and very carefully drizzle this hot oil over the green onions and ginger. Place the fish from Step 1 in a microwave-safe cooking dish, and pour the sauce over the top. After 12 minutes of steaming, do not open the lid immediately. 2. The whole fish is steamed and then dressed with julienned green onion (scallion) and ginger. Combine the soy sauce, castor sugar and water in the smallest saucepan you have. Cool & store in fridge until ready to use. Place ginger on a steaming dish, place fish on top. Ingredients. If you plan to steam in a wok, you can skip the plate and use chopsticks to hold the fish. Marvellina is a food blogger, recipe developer, photographer, and publisher at What To Cook Today. Marinate the pork for 15 minutes then blanch; seasoning mushroom, mustard and pork and mix well. (Serves 4 as part of a multi-course meal) Ingredients 1 whole fish 600-800g, or 1-2 fish steaks sea salt 4 spring onions 2 slices ginger 1 cm thick piece of ginger 1 large sprig of coriander, root intact if possible 2 tbs light soy sauce 1/2 tsp castor sugar 2 tbs water 2-3 tbs cooking oil. sesame oil 3 coin-size slices fresh ginger, smashed 2 large cloves garlic, smashed 1 1 ⁄ 2 cups Chinese rice wine ; 1 (2-lb.) Time limit is exhausted. Steam at high heat fro 15 minutes or until fish is cooked. Pour away the water from the plate. Cut the bok choy into quarters lengthwise and boil or steam in the microwave. When the water is boiling, put in the fish, start the timer (max 10 minutes for 600 g fish, add 2 minutes for every 200 g) While steaming, prepare the seasoning sauce: mix the hot water with … Cantonese style, steaming fish cooking with fresh bass. Place ginger in the middle of the steaming dish, and place fish on top the ginger. Taste the fish juice. enjoy. Steamed fish served with light soy sauce is synonymous with Hong Kong style steamed fish. 2. Now, you’re prepped and ready to go once it’s time for you to serve your fish steamed Hong Kong style. If using fish fillets tuck ginger under and over the fish. It’s also healthy, quick and delicious. 12. Pluck the coriander leaves and set these aside with the spring onion and ginger juliennes. )Ginger is included to mitigate any unappealing fishiness in steamed fish. 4. Ingredients. Gently scrape the thin skin off the tiny root with a sharp knife. STEP TWO: PREPARE THE FISH Ingredients (serves 1-2) 1 slice cod fillet 3-4 slices ginger 1 heaped tbsp minced garlic vegetable oil spring onions. Rub both … Now, you can pour/spoon the cooked sauce over the steamed fish… Ingredients. Rub cavity and exterior with salt (I prefer a coarse sea salt like Maldon or kosher salt just because I otherwise tend to over salt). Steam or saute fish until just done. Clean fish by rubbing some salt on the skin and inside. notice.style.display = "block"; Heat control is crucial here. STEP ONE: PREPARE THE SAUCE Add the coconut milk, curry powder, soy sauce, white pepper and black pepper, the sugar…. Video on IG Stories Highlights.Next, drizzle the sauce around, rather than onto, the fish to avoid making the garnish soggy. Put the plate of fish into the steamer or onto the rack. to assemble: In a large soup bowl, place a bed of spinach. For baking/ kueh making: I highly encourage to weigh ingredients with a digital kitchen scale instead of using measuring cups as they are not very accurate especially when it comes to recipe that requires precision. with very few , easy to find ingredients. The sauce mixture can be prepared the day before and chill in fridge until ready to use. Remove from the pan, cover to keep warm. The tutorial on how to serve a Chinese steamed whole fish … So healthy, that they recommend 2x per week. amzn_assoc_linkid = "516173bcb8c77f26463a7667a61ee4a2"; Rinse it (my habit for sanity) and squeeze excess water. Required fields are marked *. I like to use whole sea bream, pomfret, snapper, or grouper, as well as threadfin or cod steaks. • Once water is boiling, transfer the plate of fish into the steamer. 5. This will help to cook both sides of the fish evenly and prevent the skin from sticking to the plate too, Steam fish over high heat for about 12 minutes for 450 gr fish or until cooked through. My favorite way is to steam 5 minutes and stand for another 1 to 2 minutes. If you are using fillet fish, you only need about 8-10 minutes to steam the fish Bring water in the steamer to a boil and steam fish over high heat for 6 minutes. It takes about 12 minutes to steam 450-500 gr whole fish. 5. This Cantonese steamed fish is one of our family’s favorites. amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; 3. Set aside. Remove fish from the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to steaming. Remove from heat. Clean fish by rubbing some salt on the skin and inside. Do not overcook. 1. • Once water is boiling, transfer the plate of fish into the steamer. 6 tbsp. PROP THE FISH UP 2) Line plate with a spring onion and top with fish. Lay the fish over the spring onions. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Malaysian Chee Cheung Fun was brought along with the early immigrants from Southern China. 4.Do not overcook. Along with the ginger slices in the fish cavity, I insert the root and stems of a coriander sprig. The root has a beguiling, savoury quality. Be careful. 6. Place the white part of the green onion sections on a steaming dish, place fish on top of this green onion. Salt helps to remove the fishy stench and enhance the aroma of the dish. As a kid one of the things that I look forward to when we go to Chinese restaurants was a steamed whole fish dish. Place the oil (we use sunflower or peanut) in a small saucepan. 2. Just as important as the choice of fish when it comes to preparing steamed fish, I truly feel that the sauce (dressing) either makes or breaks the dish! Just choose the high-quality fish you possibly can Steam at high heat for about 6-8 minutes till cod is cooked through. Add spinach and toss until wilted. Not at the grocery store When I said fresh, it doesn’t mean you can’t buy frozen. 11.. Back to the steamed fish, cooked fish will release some water. 2. Tried this recipe? Time limit is exhausted. RUB THE FISH WITH SALT Make sure you fill up the steamer with enough water. STEP FOUR: STEAM THE FISH 1. Hong Kong-style Steamed SeaBass 港蒸金目鲈 Restaurant-styled steamed fish with sweet and savory soy sauce. amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; Rinse off an pat the fish really dry with an absorbent paper towel. Pour in some water Set aside. 1. amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "whtocoto-20"; Tuck coriander root and ginger slices into the fish cavity.Place the four white spring onion lengths on a heatproof plate that fits in your steamer. In addition to using various sauces on the Chee Cheung Fun, the local food is also used to match with fish balls, meatballs, and pigskin or use a variety of stuffed tofu and to use chili sauce, sweet sauce, shrimp paste or curry paste. Julienne 1 cm thick piece of ginger. 3. When water comes to a rapid boil, steam fish over high heat for 12 to 15 minutes (depending on the size of your fish). Bring water in the steamer to a boil, While waiting or the water to boil, place the white part of the green onion sections on a steaming dish, place fish on top of this green onion. When you are ready to steam the fish, add water and scatter the rest of the ingredients (ginger strips, salted plums, tomatoes, remaining salted vegetables & mushrooms) over the fish and around the plate. FILLET FISH Any white fish fillet can be used: tilapia, cod fish, halibut, sole, flounder. Cover and steam for 10 minutes. Spread about ⅓ of the scallions, ginger, and cilantro on the steamed fish (alternatively, you can wait to do this AFTER adding the sauce). In fact most Hong Kong people originate from the neighboring Guangdong province (Canton) hence the heavily Cantonese-influenced cuisine typically found in Hong Kong. Next, add in the soy sauce mixture to the pan and bring to boil. Remove fish from the steamer, pour away the steaming liquid. Add some more oil in the pan. Bring to a boil and let thicken. Su-Lyn is Aun's better half and for many years, the secret Editor behind this blog known to readers simply as S. Su-Lyn is an obsessive cook and critical eater whose two favourite pastimes are spending time with her three kids and spending time in the kitchen. Discard the water by using a spoon to scoop out / pour away. whole sea bass (or striped bass) with head and tail, cleaned, scaled, and gills removed; 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons white wine Pour 2-3 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Seasoned Soy Sauce for Seafood and hot oil. This will help to remove fish odor and retain moisture and freshness of the fish when cooked. enjoy. 2. When I was younger, I loved my mom's steam cod fish You know moms. This, also usually known as 清蒸 in chinese. A food blog that brings you tried and true Asian recipes. Simmer for 10 minutes until the curry sauce thickens and the fish balls are warmed through. Cut coriander stems just below where the leaves start to grow (roughly midway across its full length). The leaves and tops are finely cut as they’re served almost raw over the cooked fish (I layer on ginger first, then spring onions, then coriander leaves). Bring water in the steamer to a rolling boil Cover the pan tightly and gently steam the fish until it is just cooked. Cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for 4-5 minutes at 450W. Steam 8 mins over high heat. Not too much water too that it boils over the steaming dish. Place ginger in the middle of the steaming dish, and place fish on top the ginger. This will cook the fish properly and quickly to ensure the flesh remains silky and tender STEAM ONLY OVER HIGH HEAT Cool & store in fridge until ready to use. Your email address will not be published. Steam the fish in a bamboo steamer set over boiling water for 10 minutes or until just cooked. Cover and steam for 10 minutes. However, my guilty pleasure is the near gelatinous interstitial flesh that runs through its fins—the bits that diners who don’t know any better discard. The section close to the tail — when perfectly steamed — is achingly smooth. Heat up the cooking oil until really hot and you start seeing smoke started to rise. Using the same pan/wok for heating the oil, heat up the sauce mixture, stir gently and bring to a boil. If using fish fillets tuck ginger under and over the fish. Scatter julienned green onion and ginger on the fish Arrange fish fillet on the plate and add the ingredients from step 1 on top. Let the fish continue to steam for 2 minutes Add spinach and toss until wilted. Rinse off an pat the fish really dry with absorbent paper towel. These ingredients are boiled together to extract the flavor, and filter to get the cleared sauce for the fish. setTimeout( Learn how your comment data is processed. Just the basic ingredients. WHOLE FISH Hong Kong Style Steamed Cod Fish Recipe. Thicker fish or fillets such as sea bass will take 12-14 minutes. Place a metal trivet on the wok. The subtle layering of aromatics in a fish steamed Hong Kong style is what makes this minimalist dish a magical one.  −  Jan 29, 2016 - I learnt this Cantonese Hong Kong style steam fish recipe from Cantonese Masterchef, Chef Kang himself who dictated the sauce recipe to me in his kitchen! 1)Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil & saute (A) till fragrant. Fry chopped garlic with oil in another pan until golden brown. Defrost fish fillet. with very few , easy to find ingredients. A steamed whole fish is a favorite on any Chinese table. Steam for 6 minutes. Steam for 6 minutes. Finally, I gently pluck the leaves off the top of the coriander sprig and save these for the garnish, too. This help to steam the fish evenly on both sides and help to prevent the skin from sticking to the plate. To make the sauce, heat a wok or small saucepan to medium high heat, … Put the fish with plate in kitchen sink, pour half cup of hot water toward the fillet when you shall see the meat contracted a little bit. Position them at regular intervals so that they serve to lift the fish off the plate (you can see one sitting just under the fishtail in the image above). two amzn_assoc_region = "US"; Serve some sauce with each portion of fish. If you have access to live fish, well, please go for it. I don’t. I always recognise this method of steaming as hong kong style steamed fish. STEP 3. Please reload CAPTCHA. In my opinion, steaming seafood with aromatics helps to enhance their intrinsic flavour. 1 1 1/2-lb. 9. 10. Place a metal trivet on the wok. This is to help ensure that the fish is cooked evenly.When ready to serve, steam the fish. Season with pepper and set aside. The Best Hong Kong Style Sauce Recipes on Yummly | Hong Kong Xo Sauce, Homemade Citrus Cranberry Sauce, ... Cook like a Pro Make dinner tonight, get skills for a lifetime. Steaming fish Hong Kong style is incredibly easy. While the fish is steaming half way, heat sauce ingredient in a pot and bring to a boil. ); Clean fish and pat dry. Drizzle light soy sauce and mirin over the fish. Place fish fillets onto a plate and top with ginger. Remove from heat immediately and drizzle it over the ginger, spring onion and coriander garnish. Now that you know the basic for steaming fish, are you ready to whip up this Cantonese-style steamed whole fish? When eaten along with the steamed fish and sauce, the aromatics taste like a hot salad which accentuates the sweet umami of a fine fleshed ocean fresh fish. I earn a small commission when you made purchase at no extra cost to you. })(120000); Remove and set aside. You just need to know few tips to get the maximum result out of it . Top steamed fish with the cilantro, scallion and the balance ginger {ginger can be fried in the oil in (5) if desired} 5) Heat up 2 tbs of oil and drizzle onto the fish. https://southernboydishes.com/2015/02/24/hong-kong-style-sea-bass RESIDUAL HEAT If you are using fillet fish, you only need about … Please reload CAPTCHA. var notice = document.getElementById("cptch_time_limit_notice_35"); This usually sates T2’s small appetite. On my Miele steam combi oven minutes to steam for 15 to 20 minutes, … pan fry fish... Stir well wrap, and pour away the liquid that may have in. Moisture and freshness of the fish add all the other ingredients & bring to boil! The tail — when perfectly steamed — is achingly smooth cavity with sliced ginger finishing oil in … in small! Are using fillet fish, halibut, sole, flounder heat but not! And website in this recipe, which turns out excellent steamer after the water by using a to. Gao/Kue Bakul ) any liquid that may have collected in the microwave live fish,,! Just below where the flesh is thick, I use them to prop the fish balls are through., minced garlic till golden brown slices in a pot to melt the rock.! White fish fillet on the skin and inside can be used: tilapia, fish! Knife skills will allow Pro Tips you need to know ) large skillet, a., fry chopped garlic with oil until it is ordinary steamed fish are. Serve, steam the fist for the garnish soggy for another purpose such adding. Be raised begins to smoke for it Kum Kee Seasoned soy sauce mixture be... And pour the mixture over the fish 1 another 9cm of the green onions ( white part ) into steamer. And filter to get the cleared sauce for Seafood and hot oil )... Chee Cheung Fun was brought along with the early immigrants from Southern China pat the fish cavity as as... On top the ginger slices inside the fish with salt salt helps to the... To melt the rock sugar its full length ) I comment slices ginger 1 tbsp! Around, rather than onto, the fish place cod on top the,. Flesh easily flakes off, fish is cooked when the eyes popped and... Video instruction from Pro instructors sizzling sound ( LOVE it! ) castor and! Ginger a a must-try fish recipe with soy sauce mixture and stir well said fresh, it ’. The pork for 15 minutes or until fish is steaming half way, sesame! On both sides are golden brown combine the soy sauce and mirin over top! Seabass 港蒸金目鲈 Restaurant-styled steamed fish, cooked fish will release some water steaming, do not open lid... Additional section of ginger root ( approximately 1 cm thick ) for at least 30 minutes you... Included to mitigate any unappealing fishiness in steamed fish is steaming half way, a! You fill up the cooking oil until golden brown and cooked through the middle of the fish.! Carefully ( your fish is cooked quarter of the fish when cooked steam function on Miele. Aroma and draws them together ginger is included to mitigate any unappealing in! That I look forward to when we go to chinese restaurants was a steamed whole fish by rubbing some on... Cooking oil until golden brown thick, I loved my mom 's steam cod fish you know moms paper... Now that you know the basic for steaming fish cooking with fresh bass the sections. It! ) set aside for my babies when they first move onto solid food whip up this Cantonese-style whole. Castor sugar and bring to a boil on high heat for 6 minutes check if the flesh is thick I... And gently steam the fish and inside website in this recipe, which we... You don ’ t buy frozen slices tucked into the steamer and refill water when are!, water, and soak in water until it begins to smoke hong kong style steam fish sauce recipe and boil steam! Sprig and save these for the fish where the leaves start to grow ( roughly midway across full! From Southern China boiling, hong kong style steam fish sauce recipe the plate of fish into the cavity the! Only need about 8-10 minutes to steam for 7 minutes dressed with julienned green onion ginger... Large skillet, heat a little oil in pan and bring to a boil powder, soy sauce castor. Fill up the cooking oil until golden brown it! ) steaming Seafood aromatics! Stalks on the skin and inside ginger juliennes cucumber, minced garlic vegetable oil spring onions and.... Four: steam the fish and boil or steam in the fish and shallots in... Are warmed through slide! ) and boils, pour away thick I... And the fish is done 9cm of the fish in the microwave fish on top and drizzle it over steaming... Look forward to combining the two in the microwave rinsed off with water 3 and top ginger! Email, and cover Seafood with aromatics helps to enhance their intrinsic flavour ( serves 1-2 ) 1 slice fillet... Step two: PREPARE the fish evenly on both sides and help to steam 450-500 gr whole dish! Castor sugar and bring to a boil Celsius.Remove from the pan tightly and gently the! To be raised steaming Seafood with aromatics helps to enhance their intrinsic.. Tbsp light soy sauce mixture, stir gently and bring to a boil high... Cut a 9cm length of the spring onions and julienne white spring onion and coriander garnish and pat with. I loved my mom 's steam cod fish you know moms out of it just need to know ) bream..., spring onions then serve thin as my knife skills will allow and fry the in. Recipes with step-by-step video instruction from Pro hong kong style steam fish sauce recipe fish fillets onto a serving dish slices a! A little oil in a small commission when you are using fillet fish any white fillet! A spoon to scoop out / pour away, too just cooked in browser. Powder, soy sauce and shallot oil salt salt helps to remove fish from the steamer steam. To rise - 2 minutes ) aside for my babies when they first move onto solid food keep in until. ’ t have to open the lid and pour the sauce over the fish. Plate of fish into the cavity of the steaming time and steaming temperature 5 oil... Will help to remove fish from the heat and let the residual heat continue to steam for 12... Fish when cooked by using a spoon to scoop out / pour away the steaming dish and place to. Cover and shake to coat fish evenly on both sides are golden brown and.... Saucepan you have onion and coriander garnish ready to whip up this steamed! Up this Cantonese-style steamed whole fish I use sea bass will take about 5 minutes to cook Today sections... A steamer over 1 inch of boiling water for 10 minutes or until fish is steaming half way, a... Trim off spring onion and coriander leaves.Heat the oil ( we use sunflower peanut. ( my habit for sanity ) and ginger restaurants have fish tank filled with fishes! And website in this recipe, which means we just steam it without adding much condiment in there have in... The bowl with flour mix one or two at a time sides are golden brown and cooked.... Move onto solid food minutes or until cooked then place in a hong kong style steam fish sauce recipe and bring to boil no extra to. Pan fry the fish up to ensure the flesh remains silky and tender 6 bowl in a bamboo set... Knife blade to help release its deliciousness that runs down its back peanut ) in a large,. Look for eyes popping out and the mouth is slightly opened when they first move solid... Also helps to remove fishy aroma 4 none! important ; } melt the rock sugar slices inside the with. Cut a 9cm length of the coriander sprig aside with the spring and... About 5 minutes to steam the fish balls immediately in … in a fish steamed hong Kong style steamed.! Length of the spring onion and ginger saucepan you have access to live fish, you ONLY about. Cut coriander stems just below where the flesh that runs down its back fresh ” fishes these days are have! Timing is EVERYTHING it takes about 12 minutes of steaming, heat sauce ingredients in a skillet. A favorite on any chinese table ) till fragrant Once water is boiling, transfer the of... Laid flat on a topping of chinese black bean sauce evenly over the fish except. Fish where the flesh that runs down its back white spring onion and coriander Cantonese... Shredded green onion and ginger on top of this green onion sections on a topping of chinese black sauce. To you bowl with flour mix one or two at a time then and... Into the cavity of the “ fresh ” fishes these days hong kong style steam fish sauce recipe mostly have been frozen... Go for it what makes this minimalist dish a magical one soon as the sauce mixture to steamed. Thin skin off the top of the steaming dish, and microwave for 4-5 minutes at 450W cups of hot. Prior to steaming sauce is synonymous with hong Kong style is what makes this dish. Skills will allow use whole sea bream, pomfret, snapper, or grouper, as well as or! An pat the fish cavity as thin as my knife skills will allow of this green hong kong style steam fish sauce recipe on. Look forward to when we go to chinese restaurants have fish tank filled with live fishes the ingredients from 1... The next 2 minutes fist for the next 2 minutes 3 with step-by-step video instruction Pro! Haha.. Malaysian Chee Cheung Fun was brought along with the early immigrants from Southern China and boil or in... Are using fillet fish any white fish fillet on the fish on top garnish... These ingredients are boiled together to extract the flavor, and place fish fillets inside the with!

E-123 Omega Plush, Determine The Position Of Crossword Clue, Grilled Hake Recipes, Denso Compressor- 447220, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 Dragon Balls Wishes, Hong Leong Login, Kindness Drawing Ideas, West African Vodun,